NO GROUND

By Moira Read

Standing up, feeling upside down
Speaking, feeling lips are closed
Thinking, feeling brains are smashed
Loving, like you have never loved before
Protecting, like a lioness with her young
Educating everyone about Asperger's everyday, every minute, every second

Being so brave, your hair on your head actually hurts
Accepting difference, whilst feeling like you are in the middle of an unstoppable avalanche
Fighting like you are fighting for your life
Praying & hoping that you can hold onto to each changing day

Swimming so fast to keep your head just above the water
Desparate enough to humiliate yourself without a care
Grieving & fighting like a warrior all at the same time
Living the nightmare but hoping it's all going to be a dream & you'll soon wake up

Shaking like a leaf, stomach in knots
Loosing any sense of so called normality or reality very quickly
Living life on a constant slant, with no feeling of any familiar ground
Wanting to change places with my children, to help ease their distress & pain,
Needing a magic wand to fix everything, like a good mum would do

Waiting, watching, hurting, 
A family in need
A family in pieces
A family in shock
Big days everyday
Big decisions everyday
Huge anguish everyday

Understanding, accepting, learning
Compassion, co-operation,
Love, help, care,
Company, inclusion, educate
My time is always in demand
Time for us to feel the right way up,
standing on some semi-solid ground again

Needing some peace
Wash over us all
Hold us in your tight arms
Help to ease the hurt & confusion
Dissolve my anger with nurture & love as big as the universe itself
Just another day for me


This poem was written by myself in ten minutes one September morning, in my dressing gown at the table, after a very sleepness night. I was feeling totally lost, watching our youngest daughter crumble & become a complete shadow of herself, after attending her new secondary school for one day.

She has been unable to attend ever since, after three days of severe anxiety & panic attacks. 
After 5 weeks of my continual meetings with  the doctor, the school, welfare, camhs & the hospital she is now waiting for an assessment for a possible diagnosis of autisic spectrum disorder, (ASD). Our eldest daughter was diagnosed this time last year with Aspergers. I have also recognised many difficulities I have found throughout my own life are now presenting as difficulites for both of my girls. I felt it was the right time to mention this to a professional with 15 years experience of mentoring people with an ASD diagnosis & whilst it is not a true diagnostic confirmation, she told me I too show traits of Aspergers. Whilst this has been a massive shock for me, it does feel like the pieces of my puzzle are finally beginning to start to fit together more comfortably. How I have always viewed myself & the world around me? This has been an extremely difficult time with all most too much coming at me from all directions. My nerves are shot. But I am finding a way to hold & hope & trust that all will be ok & we will find our new ground soon.

Blogging is perhaps a way of me processing all what is unfolding. For now it feels ok. It is my voice, when I am finding things too hard on my own.

More blog posts to follow, as our journey of learning, understanding, living with & accepting autism continues to show & become part of who we are in our very special family.

Thank you so much for reading my blog today.
Until next time, take care.
xx

7 comments

  1. Hey moira, I just wanted to send out a big hug to you , zoe , gina and Richard. I knew you would be a good writer , I said that before didnt I? Your poem made me cry , I really feel for you all, I've known you a long time now. I never know how I can try and help you and that is an alien feeling to me. But I can send my love and hugs , I know they help me when I'm going through a hard time. Lots of love , Donna xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna for you reply today & reading my blog in the first place. It is really kind of you to take the time to do that!! Please don't think you have to offer huge help, just by me knowing people are thinking of us & allowing us to continue our difficult but unavoidable journey the best way we can is enough for me!! Feeling your hugs & love & returning it back up thr road to you all too!! xxxx

      Delete
  2. How very beautiful, heart wrenching, profound and real.
    Sending you love, Moira.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie your message has just popped through as I am sitting typing. I wonderful uplifting suprise for me. You are so kind & I thank you for reading my unfolding story with many miles between us!! Two friends have said it made them cry. Goodness that is a powerful emotion to have evoked in people. I speak & write with an open heart & it is reaching people. Thank you again for your support Maggie xxxx

      Delete
  3. As Moira's sister, Richards sister-in law and the girls only aunty, I am closer than most the struggles Moira is going through, both now and having known her all her life, those struggles with always feeling 'different', or different to how others perceived her ...as a warm, bubbly, engaging, intelligent, funny, energetic girl and now woman. I didn't cry reading this ...I am beyond tears for my sisters anguish ...and trials of her family. And I am beyond them for two reasons ...firstly my pain currently manifests as anger and fear ...from the a sense of helplessness when I cannot truly help. In the same way as Moira wants to wave a wand for her girls and make life simple and care free ...Big Sis and Aunty does too ...but that's just not realistic. And secondly ...I need to remain positive both for them and my own part in their futures. Its a shock ...that's no doubt ...but beyond that ...and from Moira's brave and relentless search and openness about ASD ...its clear to see that its not the end of the world ...even if it feels like the world has tilted on its axis ...but a new beginning ...and requires new thought ...new expectations ...new routines ...new ways to enjoy each others company and still have fun ...and new perspectives on what constitutes sucess and progression in life. We are only at the very beginning of that acceptance and its been a rocky few months, as the shock and yet more change came at a difficult, but progressive time for me personally, and sounds difficult to say, but was hard to fit into my head and life just at that time. I'm with you all, I feel your pain, I'll do everything I can understand and help, and will build this altered landscape into my own plans. And my sincere hope and belief is that with the right support and a period of settling, the talents and 'different' strengths you posess, will shine, and you will all live full, rich, loving and happy lives, defined by your own references. All my love for now ...Aunty xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy what a SENSATIONAL message of real meaning, honesty, love, acceptance & hope from you. Also mentionng the fact of me always feeling different than what others perhaps see?!! Thank you for your kind & uplifting words for me & your myself & my precious family today!!! Continued growth on your own personal journey too!! Much love "Big Sis", Mum & Dad would be proud of how far we have both travelled without them !!! It never fails to astound me!!!!!!!! xxxx

      Delete
  4. they have been with you every step of the way. Carol. x

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top